No Working Smoke Alarms in Fatal Fire on Hunt Drive

NORMAL – A fire on August 6th, which lead to the death of a 68-year-old Normal woman, originated in the kitchen, and was likely caused by open flame ignition of combustible materials in the area of the stove top.
Investigators concluded that the fire originated in the kitchen on the range top, extended into the cabinets and eventually burned through the ceiling to the roof structure. The fire victim was located upstairs near the kitchen doorway by firefighters during an initial search of the residence. Attempts to resuscitate the victim were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead at the scene. The smoke alarms within the affected unit were found to be not functional at the time of the fire.
“The tragic loss of a life from a fire is something that every fire department fights so hard to prevent,” said Fire Chief Mick Humer. “We want everyone to do whatever they can to protect their family from the danger of fire in the home.”
A loss of life as the result of a house fire has not occurred in the Town of Normal since 1991, when a mobile home fire killed a woman and her 5-month-old granddaughter.
Normal Fire Department wants to remind residents of these important fire safety reminders:
  • Make sure that smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are functional at all times. Test them monthly, and if they are more than 10 years old, the entire detector should be replaced.
  • At a minimum, there should be at least one smoke alarm on each level of the home, and one inside and outside sleeping rooms. Interconnected smoke alarms provide the best warning, because if one alarm goes off, they all go off.
  • If anyone in the home smokes, ensure that all smoking materials are discarded properly and should be put out in water before disposing of in trash. Never smoke in bed or while drowsy.
  • Make sure there are two ways out of every room used for sleeping and that everyone in the house goes to one meeting place outside if there is a fire. When firefighters arrive, let us know if anyone is missing.
  • Never go back into a burning building for any reason. Get out and stay out!
“As always, if you smell smoke, or smell something burning, please call the fire department to have us investigate,” said Assistant Chief Mike Morrison. He adds, “We are more than happy to come out to make sure everything is safe.”
# # #
Zircon - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.